Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:20 mins MakeTime:10 mins Cuisine:English
Merry Christmas to everyone who celebrate! While every other blogger is busy sharing their bakes, I am here with you to share this, Christmasy coloured healthy salad. Is it something strange, I don’t feel so though! Christmas is not just baking cakes & making desserts, a Christmas meal is usually a 3 course meal, and a healthy salad / side dish like this does play its role. If you do agree with me, come on! lets make this simple & outrageously delicious salad!
We at home, literally were, dumb struck after having such simple salad. Where addition of a general herb & seeds, gave the entire dish a new impression.
Best thing is, this salad, serves the purpose both as a summer picnic salad (or) as a warm winter salad.
Possible Alterations in this recipe, ‘Potato Salad with Parsley:
- Instead of whole potatoes, you could use baby potatoes too.
- And I have used plum tomatoes, but any salad tomatoes would suit.
- While I have boiled whole potatoes, you might opt to peel, dice them into cubes, and then boil.
- Adding any other herbs, like mint, green onions, basil, along with parsley makes it even more healthy & full of flavour.
- I was out of olives at home, so couldn’t add them. If not, I would even prefer, olives in the place of pumpkin seeds.
- If you are against balsamic vinegar, just go for red wine vinegar it does suit well.
- Even using sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes, enhances the dish even more with a sweet tinge alongside.
Health Benefits of ‘Potato Salad with Parsley’:
Potato, is high in fibre, naturally gluten free, starchy food, high in carbs and so they are very much filling. Eating more potato, than a single medium size potato, is not good for people with diabetis, high blood pressure or heart disease.
Parsley, is a herb, which has high anti-bacterial & anti-inflammation properties. It is a great source of Vitamin K, which supports bone, heart health & help fight cancer substances. The enzymes in Parsley improvesfood digestion and helps in weight loss.
Pumpkin Seeds, are the best source of Plant Based OMEGA-3 fatty acids. They have anti-inflammation and anti-diabetic properties. Helps to lower the cholesterol and reduce insomnia. Unique benefit of these seeds is their alkaline nature their magnesium content.
To conclude, this is a filling, gluten freesalad with purely plant based dressing. Rich in anti-oxidants, anti-inflammation, vitamin-C, fiber. Suitable in limited quantity to any diet.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
My other Appetiser recipes collection⇒ Starters / Snacks
Salad recipes collection⇒ Salads & Soups
Instant Pot recipes collection⇒ Electric Pressure Cooker / Instant Pot Recipes
Low Carb recipes collection⇒ Weight Loss Food / Low Carb Recipes
- Spicy Baby Potato Roast (Instant Pot / Stove Top)
- Chana-Aloo Chat / Chickpeas-Potato Salad
- Potato – Corn Cutlets / Tikki (Air-Fryer & Stove top Method)
- Coriander Baby Potatoes – Quick Snack
- White / Red Potatoes – 5 (medium size)
- Baby Tomatoes – 1 pint / 250 gms (plum / cherry)
- Pumpkin Seeds – ¼ cup (dry roasted / toasted)
- Fresh Parsley – ½ to 1 cup (finely chopped)
- Green Cucumber / English Cucumber – 1 cup (diced)
- Sea Salt – 1 teaspoon / as per taste
- Ground Black Pepper – 1 teaspoon / as per taste
- Balsamic Vinegar – 2 tablespoons
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 3 tablespoons
- Lemon Juice – 1 tablespoon
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Balsamic Vinegar
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Potato Parsley Salad’:
STOVE POT METHOD TO BOIL POTATOES:
INSTANT POT METHOD TO BOIL POTATOES:
TO MAKE THE SALAD:
- Adjust the salt & spice as per your taste.
- For the instant pot method of boiling the potatoes, I felt, more than 5 mins of time would make them a bit mushy. Which doesn’t suit for a salad.
- Whichever method you boil the potatoes, take care that they are just tender but not mushy.
- Try to use freshly ground coarse black pepper only, rather than store bought pepper powder.
- In case you are short of fresh parsley just go with dry parsley (or) even a mix of both.
- Try not to skip adding the pumpkin seeds.
- This salad is very much suitable for storage in fridge upto 2 days and is great for picnic or road trips or as a travel food.
- First when I took the salad bowl into my hands, the strong flavour of parsley & balsamic mixed up with the mild aroma of olive oil, made my taste buds active instantly.
- The taste is truly tummy pleasing, which makes it filled with tender potatoes,juicy tomatoes and nutty pumpkin seeds.
- Among all the ingredients that I added to the salad, we loved the inclusion of pumpkin seeds (though they are not the main ingredient 🙂 ).
Potato Salad with Parsley
- 5 count White / Red Potatoes (medium size)
- ½ pint Baby Tomatoes (plum / cherry) (250 gms)
- ¼ cup Pumpkin Seeds (dry roasted / toasted)
- ½ to 1 cup Fresh Parsley (finely chopped)
- 1 cup Green Cucumber / English Cucumber (diced)
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt (or as per taste)
- 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper (or as per taste)
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
STOVE TOP METHOD TO BOIL THE POTATOES:
- Into a sauce pan, add 4 cups of water, drop the potatoes, place the lid on. Put the vessel on stove top under high flame for 20 mins.
INSTANT POT METHOD TO BOIL THE POTATOES:
- Pour 2 cups of water into the inner pot. Place all the washed potatoes into a steel vessel and put the vessel on the steel stand that fits in the Instant pot vessel.Close the IP lid & valve.Set to PRESSURE COOK mode, for 5 mins under HIGH PRESSURE.
- Later, Release the pressure either naturally (NPR). This takes 10 more mins approximately. Put the boiled potatoes in cold water,peel the skin and dice them into cubes.
TO MAKE THE SALAD:
- Into a large mixing bowl, transfer the diced potatoes, cucumbers, tomatoes,parsley. For the dressing, in a small bowl, take the olive oil, salt, balsamic vinegar, ground black pepper, lemon juice and whisk them until mixed.
- Drizzle the dressing onto the diced veggie bowl. Using 2 spoons each on one hand, gently toss until well coated. Finally, top up with toasted pumpkin seeds. Done!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category