Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10 mins CookTime:10-12 mins Cuisine:Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
Simple Carrot Green Peas fry, is a very basic and a beginners recipe, using basic South Indian style tempering. And the simplicity is what makes the dish more interesting, with the fact that how could such simple recipe be so tasty.
Out of all the ingredients specified below, the most important of all are the curry leaves and grated coconut. Just these 2 ingredients are the taste elevators here. Ok then, just check out & try!
Table of Contents:
- Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Carrot Green Peas Curry (Instant Pot, Stove Top)’:
- Hot to serve, ‘Carrot Peas Curry (South Indian Style Recipe)’:
- Other recipes from my blog:
- Step Wise pics Procedure for ‘Carrot Green Peas Fry (South Indian style recipe)’:
- Stove Top Method Carrot Green Peas Curry:
- Instant Pot Method Carrot Green Peas Curry:
- Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
- Recipe Card & Print:
Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Carrot Green Peas Curry (Instant Pot, Stove Top)’:
Using grated carrot: Same quantity of Grated carrot can also be used instead of finely chopped carrot.
To give more flavour to the dish, you might add ½ teaspoon of ground cumin / jeera powder while seasoning.
Spice level: I used very little spice in this stir fry, because that’s the way the authentic recipe is. And low spice is what suits best with carrots.
To use fresh green peas: If you are using fresh green peas, add them along with the carrots for them to cook. But frozen green peas can be added along with the coconut, just like I did below.
Using desiccated coconut: Yes, you can use same quantity of desiccated coconut instead of fresh coconut.
Replacement for Red Chilli Powder: It can be replaced with same quantity of dry red chilli flakes or even with 2 to 3 finely chopped fresh green chillies.
Hot to serve, ‘Carrot Peas Curry (South Indian Style Recipe)’:
Being a South Indian side dish, it goes great in any of these Meal Platters.
Next option would be as a side with plain roti or phulka. It really tastes great with hot phulkas.
Lastly, I tried it over plain toasted bread, which makes a tasty savoury toast.
Other recipes from my blog:
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Curry recipes collection⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
Daily Meal Platters collection⇒ Bhojanam / Thali / Meal Platter
Instant Pot recipes collection⇒ Electric Pressure Cooker / Instant Pot Recipes
Related Posts with ‘CARROTS’:
- Carrot Coconut Ladoo / Sweet Treats
- Cauliflower, Carrots & Peas Stir Fry
- Broccoli – Carrot Stir Fry
- Carrots & Oats Smoothie (No Sweetener)
- Carrot Rava Ladoo / Carrot Semolina Sweet Balls
- Tomato Carrot Soup
- Carrot Pieces – 4 cups
- Grated Coconut – 1 cup (fresh / frozen)
- Green Peas – 1 cup (fresh / frozen)
- Salt – 2½ teaspoons / as per taste
- Water – as required
- Red Chilli Powder – 1½ teaspoons
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – a handful
Ingredients for Tempering:
- Cooking Oil – 3 tablespoons
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Mustard Seeds / Aavaalu – ½ teaspoon
- Dry Red Chillies – 2
- Chana Dal / Yellow Gram Dal – ½ tablespoon
- Urad Dal / Black Lentils – ½ tablespoon
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Curry Leaves – 10 (optional)
- Curry Leaves
- Grated Coconut
Step Wise pics Procedure for ‘Carrot Green Peas Fry (South Indian style recipe)’:
Stove Top Method Carrot Green Peas Curry:
Instant Pot Method Carrot Green Peas Curry:
- I used my food processor for chopping the carrots which took just 2-3 mins.
- To check if the carrots are cooked or not, take a piece and press it between your fingers or cut it with the ladle.
- Adjust the salt and spice according to your taste.
- Using instant pot, cuts the cooking time to half, so it was quick. And I didn’t keep an an eye in between until everything is done.
- Stove Top Pressure Cooker method: Follow the same method just like Instant Pot method. But under high flame for 3 whistles.
- Storage: This dish stays good at room temperature up to 1 or 2 days. Stays good for 2 more days when stored in fridge in an air-tight container.
- The taste of this, Carrot Green Peas fry, is near to the sweeter side, because of the natural sweetness of the carrots and coconut.
- As shown in the pic below, I served it with steamed white rice and Onion-Yogurt Dip / Ulli-Perugu Pachchadi, as an accompaniment.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipe Card & Print:
Carrot Green Peas Fry (Instant Pot, Stove Top)
- Sauce Pan / Vessel (for stove-top method)
- Instant Pot or Electric Pressure Cooker (for IP method)
- 4 cups Carrot Pieces
- 1 cup Grated Coconut (fresh / frozen)
- 1 cup Green Peas (fresh / frozen)
- 2½ teaspoons Salt
- as required Water
- 1½ teaspoons Red Chilli Powder
- 1 handful Fresh Coriander Leaves
Ingredients for Tempering:
- 3 tablespoons Cooking Oil
- ½ teaspoon Jeera / Cumin Seeds
- ½ teaspoon Mustard Seeds / Aavaalu
- 2 count Dry Red Chillies
- ½ tablespoon Chana Dal / Yellow Gram Dal
- ½ tablespoon Urad Dal / Black Lentils
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 10 count Curry Leaves (optional)
Stove Top Method Carrot Curry:
- Put a sauce pan / frying pan on stove top under medium flame. Add oil, heat it. Add all the items under >> 'Ingredients for tempering'. Saute them by stirring continuously.
- Immediately add all the carrot pieces,half of the salt. Pour 1 cup of water, mix up everything. Close with lid, let them cook for 10 mins. In between, check out and add more water if needed.
- When the carrot pieces are steam cooked, now add>>> grated coconut, frozen green peas, red chilli powder and remaining salt.
- Mix up everything, keep it on flame, until the water is completely evaporated. Later, switch the flame off, garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Done!!
Instant Pot Method Carrot Curry:
- Switch on the gadget. Set the MODE to SAUTE for 3 mins. Add oil, let it heat. Then add >>> 'Ingredients for Tempering'. Saute, by stirring continuously. Once they turn light brown in colour, Press CANCEL button.
- Immediately add the carrot pieces,½ cup water and half of the salt. Give a mix, Close the lid, set the valve to SEALING, mode to PRESSURE COOK, time to 3 mins.
- Later release the pressure naturally (NPR), switch on the GADGET, set to SAUTE MODE for 3 mins. Add all these>> red chilli powder, chopped corinder leaves, grated carrot, green peas and remaining salt.
- Give everything a mix, let the water evaporate and the curry turn dry. The heat formed with 3 mins of SAUTE, is just enough for this.
- Then, transfer the curry into a serving dish. Done!!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category