Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:15 mins CookTime:20 mins Cuisine:Indian
Raw Papaya Jaggery Halwa is my first try with the fruit, that I hate till date. Would you believe me, if I say that, this is the first time I have made something with papaya and eaten too. 🙂
When I was a child, my Father used to buy all varieties of seasonal fruits, which I ate happily to my hearts content, except for papaya. I never liked, (rather hate) the smell of this particular fruit, which made it stay far away from me.
Recently, as my husband insisted to make, after making this simple salad (Ripe Papaya Salad (Healthy Dressing), I got to explore its health benefits. Which was an eye-opener for me.
Actually, I made this dessert for Holi but could not blog it. I was fully busy with my kids exams. Better late than never, thought would be an excellent dessert option for the coming festivals / any party.
Papaya has these excellent health benefits: Lowers cholesterol, helps for weight loss, boosts up immunity, low in calories, protects against arthritis, good for diabetic diet (info from internet).
Before starting to cook, please see the Tips which I mentioned at the end.
My Dessert / Sweet recipes collection here⇒ Desserts / Mithayi
- Semiya Halwa / Vermicelli Pudding (No Milk)
- Ripe Papaya Salad (Healthy Dressing)
- Vada Ponganalu / NonFried Lentil Fritters
- Raw Green Papaya – 2 (small size)
- Jaggery / Gud / Bellam – 1 cup
- Paneer (crumbs) – ½ cup
- Ghee / Butter – 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons
- Cardamom Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Raisins / Kishmish – 5
- Cashew nuts – 5
- Almonds – 5
- Saffron / Kumkumapuvvu – few strands
- Ghee / Butter
Step wise pics procedure:
Wash, Peel the skin, Cut into half, remove seeds of papaya and grate.
In a sauce pan, add a teaspoon of ghee, all the chopped nuts & raisins and sautee on medium flame.Set them aside.
Add a teaspoon of ghee, grated papaya and fry it by stirring continuously until it softens.
Transfer the grated jaggery to the pan and let it melt.
Next, add the cardamom powder and saffron strands.
Add the paneer crumbs and keep mixing.
Keep stirring and half way add remaining ghee.
When the whole content gets together and leaves the sides of pan, transfer it onto a greased plate.
Garnish with the dry fruits / nuts before serving.
- Vegans can use a non-dairy (plant based) butter and tofu in the place of paneer.
- Be generous while adding the ghee/butter, its the main ingredient here.
- Be careful while you sautee the grated papaya, such that it doesn’t burn.
- It can be served warm or chilled.
- This, raw papaya jaggery halwa stays good at room temperature for 2 days and upto a week when refrigerated.
- This, raw papaya jaggery halwa has turned out quite addictive.
- The bits & crumbs of paneer were very much felt in every spoon.
- We all liked it very much and my -ve opinion about papaya is half the way reduced I must say.
You can Pinit here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category