Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:30 mins CookTime:15 mins Cuisine:Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
Payasam is the Telugu (a South Indian Language) word for a an age old traditional Indian sweet dish/dessert, that is made with any rice or lentil that’s cooked with milk , sweetened with sugar or jaggery, and then topped with dry fruits & nuts fried in ghee or butter.
This Payasam or Kheer (as called in Hindi) is a Sabudana/sago based one which needs more time when compared to other varieties, for the additional time is taken for soaking.
Table of Contents:
- Possible alterations for the recipe, ‘Saggubiyyam Payasam / Sabudana Kheer’:
- Health Benefits of ‘Sabudana Kheer / Saggubiyyam Payasam / Sago Pudding with Milk’:
- Other recipes from my blog:
- Step Wise Pics Procedure for ‘Saggubiyyam Payasam / Sago Kheer / Sabudana Kheer’:
- Prep Work:
- Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
- Recipe Card & Print:
Possible alterations for the recipe, ‘Saggubiyyam Payasam / Sabudana Kheer’:
Using Jaggery: Yes, its possible to use jaggery / gud in the place of sugar. In that case, just remember these 2 points.
Tips while using jaggery/gud: One being, use only grated or powdered jaggery. Next one is, just before adding the grated jaggery to the pan, switch the flame off. If not there are bright chances of the milk to get curdled.
To skip desiccate coconut: I have added it, only to thicken the kheer and to give that nutty taste in every spoon. The dessert tastes great even without adding it too.
Adding lentils / dal: If you wish to make the dessert protein packed, you might add ½ cup of cooked chana dal / split yellow lentils. Just add them to the pan, along with the sabudana / sago.
To make the dessert nut free, avoid using any nuts in the recipe. Instead you can use dry fruits.
Vegan options: Vegans will have to use almond milk or coconut milk to make the recipe suitable for vegan diet.
Health Benefits of ‘Sabudana Kheer / Saggubiyyam Payasam / Sago Pudding with Milk’:
Sabudana/ Saggubiyyam/ Sago seeds, are rich in starch, low in fat, useful for weight loss. But on the contrary, they do not have any essential nutrients. So, they are in general used along with any other nutritional ingredient.
Being seeds, this Sabudana / Sago kheer recipe is very much fits into Indian style fasting food during festivals.
As per Indian ayurvedic home remedies, boiled Sabudana / Sago seeds, are specifically given as a remedy to stop excess stools/poo, even in infants.
Milk, is rich in calcium, Vitamin D and for healthy bones.
To conclude, this dessert recipe is not so nutrient rich, except for the sake of using sabudana / sago in the form of a sweet dish.
Other recipes from my blog:
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Dessert recipes collection here⇒ Desserts / Mithayi
Festive Recipes collection⇒ Traditional Indian Recipes for Festivals / Panduga Nayivedyalu
Appetiser recipes collection⇒ Starters / Snacks
- Kobbari Annam / Coconut Rice (Instant Pot, Stove top)
- Pesarapappu Payasam / Yellow Moong Dal Kheer
- Carrot-Coconut Laddoo / Sweet Treats
- Semiya Payasam / Kheer / Vermicelli-Milk Pudding
- Saggubiyyam /Sabudana /Sago – ½ cup
- Sugar / Jaggery – ½ cup
- Milk – 2½ cups
- Desiccated Coconut / Fresh Grated Coconut – ¼ cup
- Raisins / Kishmish – 10
- Cashew Nuts – 10
- Almonds – 10
- Ghee / Butter – 3 tablespoons
- Cardamom pods (powder) – 4
- Saffron / Kesar – few strands
- Water – 1 cup
- Ghee / Butter
Step Wise Pics Procedure for ‘Saggubiyyam Payasam / Sago Kheer / Sabudana Kheer’:
- Whatever might be the size of your cup, the ratio of the ingredients would be the same.
- You can eliminate adding the ghee to the recipe (except for frying the dry fruits).
- If you are a vegan you can use a non-dairy (plant based) milk , butter.
- Don’t worry if you have added more milk, the sabudana/sago would absorb the milk and make the outcome thick and creamy after a while.
- You can add either sugar or jaggery as sweetener, either of them tastes good.
- You can add any dry fruits and nuts of your choice.
- This sweet dish can be served hot or chilled too.
- Storage: This dessert stays good at room temperature for one day but stays good upto 3-4 days when refrigerated.
- The taste of this, Saggubiyyam Payasam / Sabudana Kheer, dessert is very creamy and nutty.
- The texture is very soft, nothing to chew/bite except for the dry fruits.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipe Card & Print:
Saggubiyyam Payasam / Sabudana Kheer / Sago & Milk Pudding
- Mixing Bowl / Vessel
- Sauce Pan / Vessel (for stove-top method)
- ½ cup Saggubiyyam / Sabudana / Sago
- ½ cup Sugar / Jaggery
- 2½ cups Milk
- ¼ cup Desiccated Coconut / Fresh Grated Coconut
- 10 count Raisins / Kishmish
- 10 count Cashew Nuts
- 10 count Almonds
- 3 tablespoons Ghee / Butter
- 4 count Cardamom pods (powder)
- few strands Saffron / Kesar
- 1 cup Water
- First, take the sabudana/sago wash them couple of times. Fill it with water (¾ cup) and set it aside for 30 mins.Exclude the water before using.
- Chop the nuts you prefer to add. Put a thick bottomed pan on stove top under low flame. Add one tablespoon of ghee / butter, all the dry fruits & nuts. Fry them until light brown in colour.Take them aside into a separate plate.
- In the same pan add the milk, bring it boil, might take upto 7-8 mins. Once the milk is half boiled add the saffron strands and the powdered cardamom. Give a stir, and add the soaked sabudana/sago (exclude the soaked water).
- Let the sabudaana/sago cook along with milk, until the sabudaana/sago seeds becomes transparent. (might take 7-8 mins). Keep mixing in between. Then add the desiccated/fresh grated coconut, mix everything and let the content thicken.
- When the content in the pan thickens, add the sugar and remaining 2 tablespoons of ghee/butter. Gently mix the whole content from bottom and let the vessel be on stove until the sugar is melted completely. This might take 1-2 mins.
- Later, switch the flame off & remove the vessel from stove top. Garnish with fried dry fruits & nuts and serve. Done!
You can Pin it here for later use, Pinterest Link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category