Recipes Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:5mins CookTime:10-15mins Cuisine:Indian
Gutti Vankaya / Stuffed Brinjal also known as Bharwa Baingan is the most famous/liked Indian recipe using small brinjal/eggplants. There are many different recipes for stuffed brinjal, while this is one of them that I learnt from my innovations. I’m sharing this recipe of gutti vankaya stuffed brinjal , after trying and testing couple of times. Its the quickest recipe which can be made within 10-15 mins, with a condition that you have fresh ingredients for stuffing.
Any veggie with an edible stuffing is the best way for me to make my two daughters bouncy. Don’t know why, but they are absolutely in love with stuffed veggies. So, why dont you try this , Vegan and Glutenfree, Gutti vankaya / Stuffed brinjal recipe of my own! 🙂
Health Benefits of Brinjal / Eggplant
Brinjals/Eggplants are rich in fiber, potassium, vitamin B-6 , hence it lowers the risk of heart disease. Its a low-carb, nutrient-dense, calorie-poor food , so its a great food to help you lose weight. One cup of eggplant/ brinjal contains only 8 gm of carbohydrates (info from internet).
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
My Curry recipes collection here⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
Dal / Lentil Stew recipes collection here⇒ Dal / Pappu / Lentil Stew
- Stuffed BitterGourd / Karela / Kakarakaya Ullikaaram Koora
- Stuffed Banana Peppers / Gutti Mirapakaya
- Brinjal-Tomato Curry / Vankaya-Tomato Koora
- Brinjal – Green Peas Curry / Vankaya -Bataani Koora
- Brinjal/Eggplant/Vankaya – 4 (small size)
- Salt – 1 teaspoons
- Green Chillies – 6
- Coriander – 1 bunch / 4 to 5 twigs
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Cooking Oil – 3 tablespoon
- Turmeric – ¼ teaspoon
- Water – 2 to 3 tablespoons
- Jeera / Cumin Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Desiccated / Fresh Coconut – 1 tablespoon
- Jeera / Cumin Powder
- Desiccated Coconut / Dry Coconut
Step wise pics Procedure:
- Firstly, gather all the ingredients onto the kitchen counter.
- Take the green chillies, ginger, coriander leaves into a grinder/blender and pulse them to a fine paste.
- Transfer this paste into a small mixing bowl.
- Add the Jeera / Cumin Powder , Desiccated / Fresh Coconut and salt into the same bowl.
- Mix up everything thoroughly and set aside.
- Take the brinjals / baby eggplants, wash them and wipe clean them.
- Cut the edges on one side, and slit them into 4 parts only on the same side.
- Using a small spoon fill in each brinjal/eggplant/vankaya with the stuffing which we kept aside. If the mix is leftover then keep it for later use.
- Now take a frying pan that is suitable to fit all the stuffed brinjals / eggplants.
- Pour the 3 tablespoons of oil in the pan, and heat it on stove top under medium flame.
- Gently drop in the stuffed brinjals/eggplants (which we kept aside) into the pan.
- Sprinkle 2-3 tablespoons of water onto the brinjal /vankayalu and close the pan with lid.
- Let the brinjal/ vankayalu cook and soften.
- After 5-6 mins open the lid and turn each brinjals/eggplants/vankayalu onto the other side and close the pan again with lid.
- After 5 mins open the lid and check if the brinjal/ eggplants/ vankayalu are cooked/softened perfectly.
- Then add the leftover stuffing mix onto the cooked brinjal/ eggplants/ vankayalu and gently turn them.
- Switch the flame off and garnish the curry with chopped coriander.
- Transfer it to a serving bowl. Done!!
- Bear in mind while slicing the brinjals/vankaya that only one side is slit.
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- This doesn’t have a completely wet/ completely dry stuffing. It has a semi-wet stuffing so would make the brinjals soften quickly.
- The stuffing can be made well before and stored in fridge for upto 3-4 days.
- The taste of this, Gutti vankaya / Stuffed brinjal curry is just ultimate, and the texture is very soft with the aroma of coriander/cumin dominating.
- I bet you cant stop eating just one brinjal.
- We had it along with hot steamed rice and of course my 2 daughters just adored me for making this.
You can Pin it here for later use, Pinterest Link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category