Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:15 mins FreezeTime:5 hrs Cuisine:Indian
Summers are at peaks, and my kids have been spending most of the evenings in the yard, playing. I wouldn’t allow them to step out before evening… 🙂 And it has become a routine, actually ‘a rule of food’, for me to offer them something cool / frozen to refresh.
And the topmost thing is, we (my 3 kids & I) prepare such frozen desserts the previous day to enjoy them the next day. Last week, we made these Berry ice-lollies and Cherry Ice-cream (just replaced the fruit in this >> Strawberry Eggless Ice Cream (without condensed milk) ) Hope you would try them! 🙂
What if you do not have the moulds:
You could use steel (or) plastic cups or even tumblers would do. Either use small wooden sticks / at least small spoons would perfectly work.
To replace the sugar / honey:
Just replace the sugar / honey with a large banana (or) 2 small bananas. This gives the same sweet taste to the lollies.
Curds / Yogurt are rich in protein & calcium. Helps to improve digestion & strengthens immune system. Berries are high in fiber, are loaded with anti-oxidants, and help fight inflammation. (info from internet).
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Kids after school recipes⇒ After School / Lunch Box Sweet Treats
Drink recipes here⇒ Drink / Beverage
- Very Berry Smoothie (Plant Based)
- Strawberry Eggless Ice Cream (without condensed milk)
- Eggless Whole Wheat Blueberry Cobbler
- Eggless Strawberry Cupcakes
Ingredients (makes : 6)
- Plain Yogurt / Homemade Curd / Greek Yogurt – 1 cup
- Blue Berries – ½ cup (fresh / frozen)
- Strawberries – ½ cup (fresh / frozen)
- Sugar / Honey / Maple Syrup – ¼ cup
- Sugar / Honey / Maple Syrup
Procedure for ‘Yogurt & Mixed berry Ice lollies / Popsicles’:
- Into a blender add half of the strawberries & a teaspoon of sugar / honey / maple syrup, and blend into fine puree.
- Pour this puree, into each of the mould, just up to ¼ level. Put the moulds in the freezer for 10 mins, so that this part freezes well, before we top up later.
- Mean while, in the same blender take the blue berries, plain yogurt / curd, rest of strawberries and rest of the sugar / honey / syrup. Blend thoroughly.
- Take the moulds from the freezer, top each with this yogurt blend.
- Close each mould with lid / a wooden stick and put them back into freezer for 5 hrs / overnight / until they freeze solid.
- When ready to serve, take them out, let them rest at room temperature for 2-3 mins.
- Gently pull each ice-lolly out of the mould & enjoy! Done!
- Instead of using mixed berries you could use only only one of them.
- As per your taste, you can reduce / completely eliminate adding the sweetener.
- The freeze time (5 hrs) I mentioned is the minimum needed time to get perfectly solid ice lollies.
- But you can even freeze them overnight / until they turn solid.
- Sour curd / yogurt doesn’t suit well.
- Being drenched with berries, the Yogurt & Mixed berry ice lollies / Popsicles, turned out exotic.
- And my kids said ‘”Amma, these are just Berrilicious!!” 🙂 🙂
- The best part of these ice-lollies is, we can relish them for breakfast / after lunch / for evening snack / even after dinner. Yes, considering hot summer days!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category