Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:2 mins BlendTime:3 mins Cuisine:Indian
Summer is here, so refreshing coolers are also need of the day. Moreover, these days everyone in the family, staying at home, there’s a never ending demand for such easy to make drinks, starters and desserts. I made this refreshing drink as an afternoon snack for my kids. In fact, as an after school snack, YES! after ONLINE school… hahaha! Of course, they loved it after their day long study.
What is Lassi
Lassi is an yogurt based drink based in India. And is considered as an ayurvedic medicinal health drink. for many It has predominantly 2 different varieties, sweet and salty. The sweet version of lassi is generally sweetened with fresh / frozen fruit. Just like this⇒ Sweet Mango Lassi / Drink
Health Benefits of Lassi
Yogurt / Curd is rich in protein, calcium, benefits the digestive system, protects against osteoporosis, strengthen the immune system and most importantly is rich in probiotics.
Ginger is the best remedy for treating nausea, sickness and improves immunity. Cumin aids digestion, improves the immunity and prevents diabetics. And the recipe below is not a sweet lassi, so no sugar / sweetener is involved. Hence, makes it more healthier.
This summer drink is Immunity Boosting, Vegan, Gluten free, Kids friendly, Protein & Calcium Rich, Diabetic friendly and suitable for Weight Loss Diet.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
You can see my other Drink recipes here⇒ Drink / Beverage
Weight Loss recipes collection⇒ Weight Loss Food / Low Carb Recipes
Related Posts with ‘YOGURT’:
- Amaranth Leaves Buttermilk Soup / Thotakura Majjiga Pulusu
- Indian Soup with Buttermilk / Majjiga Pulusu
- Pineapple Perugu Pachadi / Yogurt Chutney
- Onion-Yogurt Dip / Ulli-Perugu Pachchadi
- Curd / Yogurt – 2 cups
- Whole Cumin Seeds / Jeera – 1 teaspoon
- Fresh Coriander / Cilantro – 2 twigs
- Cumin Powder / Jeera Podi – ¼ teaspoon
- Fresh Ginger – ½ of an inch piece
- Black Salt – a pinch (optional)
- Cooking Salt – ¼ teaspoon
- Fresh Lemon slices – 2
- Ice Cubes – 4
- Water – 1 cup / as per taste
- Fresh Ginger
- Cumin Powder / Jeera Podi
Procedure for Masala Lassi / Indian Spiced Buttermilk:
- In a blender, take the whole cumin / jeera, coriander / cilantro leaves, ginger piece, black salt and cooking salt.
- Blend until smooth paste. This is the masala for making the lassi.
- Into the same blender, add the curd / yogurt and water.
- Blend again everything.
- Transfer into glasses, top up with a pinch of cumin / jeera powder and lemon slice.
- Add ice cubes as desired. Done!
- Vegans can use any vegan yogurt. Works perfectly.
- Don’t blend everything at once.
- Blend the masala first and only then add other ingredients.
- Optionally, to have more tinge, you could even add fresh mint leaves and finely chopped green chilly as well.
- Masala Lassi / Indian Spiced Buttermilk, is definitely much needed refresher during hot summers.
- This summer drink is Immunity Boosting, Vegan, Gluten free, Kids friendly, Protein & Calcium Rich, Diabetic friendly and suitable for Weight Loss Diet.
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category