Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:1 mins CookTime:5 mins Cuisine: Indian
I always loved the spicy puffed rice mix, my Mom used to make during festivals. And the tiny cheese bites were the real attraction for us when we were kids.
Keeping that in mind, this is a recipe that I made up, by my own with the ingredients I had at that time and giving a simple seasoning to them. But trust me, the outcome was damn good.
Few people, prefer to deep fry all the ingredients (instead of pan fry) , which I avoided. Even then the outcome is no less than exceptional! You can make this within 5 mins but store it for up to a month.
Do you like the tiny weeny size cheese bites?? I just love them… I happened to find them in an Indian store, and for the sake of them, I made this munching snack.
My kids, including my little son, loved it so much, that they had it for after school snack every single day, until the tin was empty. 🙂
I made 2 batches, one with less spice (for kids) and the other with bit more spice .
Possible alterations, you could make in this recipe, ‘Spicy Cereal Trail Mix’:
- In case you do not have the cheese bites, you can replace them with plain crisps / potato crisps.
- As I said many times, Curry Leaves definitely add a unique taste & flavour to the entire dish. But, you might eliminate it if you haven’t got them.
- Melted Ghee / Butter , which I gave as an optional ingredient, can be added at the end, only to give lovely aroma & wetness.
Health Benefits of this recipe, ‘Spicy Cereal Trail Mix’:
The main benefit of this recipe, is its OIL / FAT FREE. I did not use any oil.
Wheat Bran / Bran flakes, are rich in edible fibre and are low in salt, sugar & fat.
Corn flakes, are rich in Vitamin B, Folic acid.
To Conclude, this is a high in fibre, gluten free, oil-free, protein filled snack. So, be assured and make this for your family!!
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
My other Snack / Starter recipes here⇒ Starters / Snacks
Dessert / Sweets recipes collection here⇒ Desserts / Mithayi
Air fryer recipes collection⇒ Air – Fryer Recipes
- Bell Pepper – Lentil Fritters / Capsicum Punugulu
- Masala Vada / Lentil Masala Nuggets (Stove Top, Air Fryer, Oven Baked)
- Perugu Vada / Dahi Vada (South Indian style)
- Mung Dal Nuggets / Pesarapappu Vada (Air-Fryer, Deep-Fry)
- Wheat Bran Flakes (unsweetened) – 1 cup
- Corn Flakes (unsweetened) – 1 cup
- Murmura / Puffed Rice / Rice Crispies – 1 cup
- Peanuts / Ground Nuts – ½ cup
- Rasins / Kishmish – ½ cup
- Sev – ½ cup
- Curry Leaves – a handful (optional)
Ingredients for Seasoning:
- Cheese Biscuits / Crushed Crips – ½ cup
- Sugar – 2 teaspoons
- Salt – as per taste
- Red Chilli Powder / Paprika – 1½ teaspoons / as per taste
- Chat Masala – ½ teaspoon
- Ghee / Melted Butter – 1 teaspoon (optional)
- Cheese Biscuits
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Spicy cereal trail mix’:
- Adjust the salt & spice as per your taste.
- Keep stirring continuously, once you switched the flame on.
- Instead of SEV you can even add Crushed Crisps / Potato crisps.
- Store this, spicy cereal trail mix in an air-tight container, in a cool, dry place.
- Before every serve, gently toss the mix, so that the seasoning doesn’t stay beneath the tin.
- Needless to say, this Spicy cereal trail mix, is fully loaded with goodness, you will have that feeling of ‘No Guilt’.
- I can guarantee you that no body can be satisfied with having just one serving! 🙂
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category