Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:5 mins CookTime:5 mins Cuisine:Indian
Mamidikaya / Mango perugu pachadi, is a traditional summer recipe from the Telugu cuisine.
There’s a quote by Hippocrates: “Let the food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food”. Traditional recipes follow the same path. They are made with seasonal ingredients mainly suitable for the climate. In this way, it helps the person’s body to stay fit & fine just by including such food in their diet. How nice! 🙂
In this recipe, Raw mango is a summer vegetable but it has ability to create heating effect to the body. And for this reason, the curd & mustard in the recipe, are added to balance it.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Chutney / Dip recipes collection here⇒ Chutney / Pachchadi / Dip
Recipes as per ingredient⇒ Recipes categorised with Ingredient
- Mamidikaya Pulihora / Raw Mango Rice
- Onion-Yogurt Dip / Ulli-Perugu Pachchadi
- Indian Soup with Buttermilk / Majjiga Pulusu
- Mamidikaya-Palakoora Pappu / RawMango-Spinach Dal / Lentil Stew
VIDEO RECIPE FROM MY ‘YOU TUBE’ CHANNEL
- Raw Mango / Mamidikaya – 2 (small) / 1 medium
- Homemade Curd / Plain Yogurt – 1 cup
- Green Chillies – 7 to 8
- Cooking Oil – 3 tablespoons
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – a handful
- Salt – 1 teaspoon / as per taste
- Water – 4 tablespoons
- Mustard Seeds / Avaalu – [1 teaspoon + ¼ teaspoon]
- Jeera / Whole Cumin Seeds – ¼ teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder / Pasupu – ¼ teaspoon
- Hing / Inguva – ¼ teaspoon
- Dry Red Chillies – 2 (optional)
- Mustard Seeds / Aavalu
- Green Chillies
- Wash and peel the raw mangoes, chop them finely into small pieces.
- I have used 2 small mangoes from below.
- In a spice blender / mixie jar, take a teaspoon of mustard seeds, green chillies and half of coriander leaves. Add 4 tablespoons of water and grind to fine paste.
- Put a sauce pan on stove top under medium flame, add the cooking oil and let it heat.
- Add the turmeric powder, cumin seeds / jeera, hing / inguva and ¼ teaspoon of mustard seeds. Let them splutter.
- Slit the dry red chillies into half and add.
- Transfer all the mango pieces and salt into the pan. Close with lid and let them soften.
- Open the lid let the water evaporate.
- Add the curd / yogurt, grind paste and remaining coriander leaves to the pan.
- Give a stir, switch the flame off. Done!!
- Vegans , can use vegan yogurt or curd.
- I have used homemade thick curd but Greek yogurt can also be used.
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- Onions & Garlic not preferred in this recipe.
- You can store it in the refrigerator and serve chilled.
- Stays good up to a week, when stored in fridge.
- The taste of this, Mamidikaya / mango perugu pachadi, is definitely sour and spicy at the same time.
- This chutney/dip can be served as a condiment with any rice, chips, paratha, naan bread, salad too.
You can Pinit here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category