Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10 mins MakeTime:2 mins Cuisine: English
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
Hello dear readers, here I am sharing another quick and simple recipe. Are you thinking, if I’m on a ‘NO COOK RECIPES THEME’?? Might be yes! Getting geared up for the upcoming summer style food.
This coleslaw recipe is a variation on the usual theme, but a definite winner. Read further then! 🙂
What is ‘Coleslaw’:
Coleslaw, is just a simple salad, an easily made side dish, prepared with shredded raw cabbage and a common salad dressing mostly with vinegar (or) mayonnaise.
It is taken from the Dutch word, Koolsla, which means (Koola) Cabbage (sla) Salad.
Possible alterations for, ‘Homemade Eggless No Mayo Coleslaw Recipe’:
To Make the recipe Vegan: You will have to use vegan sour cream (available in the market).
Replacing sour cream: Either skip it or else use coconut cream / coconut thick milk. These worked aptly well for this recipe.
For longer lifespan of Coleslaw: Just eliminate adding sour cream. Use only other dressing as mentioned. It stays for more than 10 days in refrigerator, as Vinegar has the pickling qualities.
To add Mayonnaise: Just replace the sour cream with any Mayonnaise, either vegan (or) non-vegan. It gives the same result I suppose.
How to serve, ‘Egg Free No Mayo Classic Coleslaw’:
The best way to serve coleslaw is have it COLD / CHILLED.
Next way is, to eat as it is, just like a creamy salad. Tastes excellent.
Next option is, to use it as a filling for sandwiches, tacos, sliders, wraps and burgers.
Use it as a creamy topping (or) side, for these bean (or) lentil based salads:
- Radish-Lentil Salad / Kosambari
- Chana Tadka / Seasoned Chickpeas
- Black Eyed Beans and Basil Salad
- Simple Black-eyed Beans Indian Salad / Alasanda Guggillu
- Sprouted Red Beans & Potato Salad
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Other Salad recipes here⇒ Salads & Soups
Low Carbs recipes collection⇒ Weight Loss Food / Low Carb Recipes
- Black Eyed Beans and Basil Salad
- Cabbage & Masoor Dal / Red Lentil Pakoda
- Couscous Upma / Savoury Meal
- Creamy Cauliflower Vegan Soup
- White Cabbage – 2 cups (shredded very thinly)
- Purple Cabbage – 1 cup (shredded very thinly)
- Carrot – 1 (large size) (grated)
- Spring Onions / Scallions – 2 small size (thinly shredded)
- Sour Cream – 7 tablespoons
- French Mustard – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Whole Black Peppercorn – 1 tablespoon (freshly ground)
- Apple Cider Vinegar – 3 tablespoons
- Brown Sugar – 3 tablespoons
- Sour Cream
- Apple Cider Vinegar
Step Wise Pics Procedure for ‘Homemade Eggless No Mayo Coleslaw’:
- Adjust the salt & spice as per your taste.
- Storage: You might store this salad in an air tight container and store it in fridge.
- At room temperature it stays just up to few hours in summers.
- This, ‘Homemade Egg free No Mayo Coleslaw’, turned out to be very creamy from the sour cream and crunchy from the raw veggies.
- At first, we tried this dish, just as it is, that tasted just awesome on hot days when served cold.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Homemade Eggless Coleslaw Recipe
- 1 Small mixing bowl
- 1 Wide Mixing Bowl
- 2 heaped cups Fresh White Cabbage (shredded very thinly)
- 1 heaped cup Fresh Purple Cabbage (shredded very thinly)
- 1 count Fresh Carrot (large size) (grated)
- 2 count Spring Onions / Scallions (small size) (cut into tiny pieces)
- 7 tablespoons Sour Cream
- 1 teaspoon French Mustard
- as per taste Salt
- 1 tablespoon Crushed Whole Black Peppercorn (freshly ground)
- 3 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- Gather all the ingredients at one place.
- In a mixing bowl add the vinegar, salt, sugar and crushed pepper. Whisk thoroughly so that the sugar dissolves well.
- Now pour the vinegar dressing onto the shredded veggies.
- In the small mixing bowl add the sour cream and mustard sauce, whisk for a perfect blend.
- Pour this on to the shredded veggies along with the chopped scallions/spring onions.
- Gently, using two ladles (each in a hand), turn over the veggies such that the dressing is well incorporated all over the shredded veggies.
- Garnish with spring onion greens. Done!!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category