Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10 mins CookTime:15 mins Cuisine: Indian
Raw Banana / Aratikaya curry recipe is a very common among South Indian vegetarian households. It mainly uses the G-G-G-C or G-G-C mix, that forms the major ingredient combo in this. You shall know what these abbreviated letters stand for, only if u read through the whole recipe. 🙂
Raw banana has High Fiber Content, Probiotic Bacteria, Source Of Vitamins and is good for Diarrhea Treatment, Diabetic Diet. And Capsicum is one vegetable that is low in Saturated Fat, and very low in Cholesterol. It is a good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin-C and Vitamin-K. (over the internet).
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips which Imentioned at the end.
My Curry recipes collection here⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
- Aratikaya Vepudu /Raw Banana Fry/ Plantain Stir Fry
- Capsicum – Aratikaya Koora / Bell Pepper-Raw Banana Curry
- Raw Banana/ Aratikaya – 2 large or 4 small
- Lemon – 1 (large size)
- Salt – 2½ teaspoons
- Ginger – 2 inch piece
- Garlic – 3 cloves (optional)
- Green Chillies – 7 to 8
- Coriander – 1 small bunch
- Cooking Oil – 3 tablespoon
- Water – ½ cup
Ingredients for Tempering :
- Mustard Seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Jeera / Cumin seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Sesame seeds/Nuvvulu – 1 teaspoon
- Urad Dal / Black Gram – 1½ teaspoon
- Chana Dal / Bengal Gram Lentils – 1 teaspoon
- Curry Leaves – 10
- Dry Red Chillies – 3
- Turmeric – ¼ teaspoon
- Lemon juice
- Garlic (optional)
- Green Chillies
- Peel the skin of Raw bananas, cut them into cube size pieces and put them in a bowl of water, so that they dont turn dark in colour.
- Put a medium sized frying pan on stove top under medium flame.
- Add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil and heat it.
- Add all the ‘Ingredients for Tempering’ into the pan. Saute them by stirring.‘Ingredients for Tempering’ being added to heated oil
- Then add the dry red chillies just by breaking them into half with your fingers.
- Now, transfer all the pieces of raw banana into the pan, along with salt.
- Gently mix everything , such that the pieces are coated well with the salt and tempering. Aratikaya/ Kachche Kele/ Raw Banana pieces and salt added to the pan
- Add the water and cover the pan completely with lid, for 5 mins. Let it steam cook.
- In the meanwhile take the Ginger, GreenChillies, Garlic (optional) & Coriander bunch into a blender / mixie and make into a coarse paste. Keep aside.
- Return to the pan and check if the raw banana pieces are cooked perfectly.
- If so, then add the blended coarse paste and the remaining oil to the pan.
- Now, mix everything once thoroughly and let it cook for 2 more minutes, without lid.Just before switching the flame off
- Switch the flame off and let it cool for 5 more mins.
- Then, squeeze the lemon juice over the curry and give a gentle mix.
- Take the, Raw Banana / Aratikaya curry into a serving bowl, garnish it with chopped coriander leaves. Done!!
- After the tempering, you can add onions and garlic, which I avoided.
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- Dont add the lemon juice, onto very hot curry, it might ruin the taste of entire dish.
- This, Raw Banana / Aratikaya curry tastes fine upto 2 days at room temperature and stays good upto a week when stored in refrigerato.
- We had this, Raw Banana / Aratikaya curry with plain rice and plain roti too. It tasted delicious for both.
- It can be served as a side either with any rice, roti, chapati.
- Moreover with such vegetable that has such high nutrient values (as I mentioned above in detail), this curry is perfect health wise too. Raw Banana/ Aratikaya/ Kachche Kele ki Sabzi / Muddha Koora/ Wet Curry
You can Pinit here, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category