Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10 mins CookTime:15 mins Cuisine: Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
Raw Banana / Aratikaya curry recipe is a very common among South Indian vegetarian households. It mainly uses the G-G-G-C or G-G-C mix, that forms the major ingredient combo in this.
You shall know what these abbreviated letters stand for, only if u read through the whole recipe. 🙂
Table of Contents:
- Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Raw Banana South Indian style Wet Curry / Aratikaya Koora’:
- Health Benefits of ‘Raw Green Banana Wet Curry / Kacche Kele ki Sabzi’:
- Other recipes from my blog:
- Short Video from my won YOU TUBE Channel:
- Step Wise Pics Procedure for ‘Aratikaya Muddha Koora / Raw Green Banana Curry / Plaintain Curry’:
- Prep Work (common for both methods):
- Stove Top Method ‘Raw Green Banana Curry’:
- Instant Pot Method ‘Raw Green Banana Curry’:
- Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
- Recipe Card & Print:
Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Raw Banana South Indian style Wet Curry / Aratikaya Koora’:
Adding Onion and Garlic: Add chopped onions (¾ cup) and chopped garlic (1 teaspoon) after the tempering is done. Fry them, when the onions are transparent then proceed with the recipe.
To make gravy style curry: Make a slurry with Besan / Chickpea Flour (2 table spoon) and Water (½ cup). Just 1 min before switching off the flame, add this slurry mix and give a stir. It would make a simple gravy style curry.
Other Spices to be added: Make a powder with dry roasted mustard seeds /rai/aavalu (1 tablespoon). Add this to the curry along with the coarse spice paste.
Health Benefits of ‘Raw Green Banana Wet Curry / Kacche Kele ki Sabzi’:
Raw banana, has High Fibre Content, Probiotic Bacteria, Source Of Vitamins and is good for Diarrhoea Treatment, Diabetic Diet.
To conclude, this recipe is very much suitable for Weight Loss Diet Plan and Diabetic Friendly diets. And comes under Vegetarian, Vegan, Gluten free, Plant Based, foods.
Other recipes from my blog:
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Curry recipes collection here⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
Instant Pot recipes collection⇒ Electric Pressure Cooker / Instant Pot Recipes
Daily Meal Platters / Lunch Thali(s)⇒ Bhojanam / Thali / Meal Platter
- Aratikaya Vepudu / Raw Banana Fry/ Plantain Stir Fry
- Capsicum – Aratikaya Koora / Bell Pepper-Raw Banana Curry
- Gutti Vankaya Koora / Stuffed Brinjal Curry (Semi Dry)
- Aloo Methi Sabzi / Potato & Fenugreek Fry (Instant Pot, Stove Top)
- Potato Tadka / Bangaladumpa Koora (Instant Pot, Stove Top)
Follow me on⇒ Facebook / Pinterest / YouTube / Instagram
Short Video from my won YOU TUBE Channel:
- Raw Banana/ Aratikaya – 2 large or 4 small
- Lemon – 1 (large size)
- Salt – 2½ teaspoons
- Fresh Ginger – 2 inch piece
- Garlic – 3 cloves (optional)
- Green Chillies – 7 to 8
- Fresh Coriander / Cilantro Leaves – ½ cup
- Cooking Oil – 5 tablespoons
- Water – ½ cup
Ingredients for Tempering :
- Mustard Seeds / Aavaalu – ½ teaspoon
- Jeera / Cumin seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Sesame seeds/Nuvvulu – 1 teaspoon
- Urad Dal / Black Gram – 1½ teaspoon
- Chana Dal / Yellow Split Lentils – 1½ teaspoon
- Curry Leaves – 10
- Dry Red Chillies – 3
- Turmeric Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Lemon juice
- Garlic (optional)
- Green Chillies
Step Wise Pics Procedure for ‘Aratikaya Muddha Koora / Raw Green Banana Curry / Plaintain Curry’:
Prep Work (common for both methods):
Stove Top Method ‘Raw Green Banana Curry’:
Instant Pot Method ‘Raw Green Banana Curry’:
- After the tempering, you can add onions and garlic, which I avoided.
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- Don’t add the lemon juice, onto very hot curry, it might turn bitter, and ruin the taste of entire dish.
- Storage: This, Raw Banana / Aratikaya curry tastes fine up to 2 days at room temperature and stays good up to a week when stored in refrigerator.
- We had this, Raw Banana / Aratikaya curry with plain rice and plain roti too. It tasted delicious for both.
- It can be served as a side dish either with rice or roti. Showing below the pic of the South Indian Meal Platter (Detailed Link>> Bhojanam / Thali / Platter # 3 ).
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipe Card & Print:
Raw Green Banana / Plantain Curry (Wet) / Aratikaya Muddha Koora
Sauce Pan / Vessel (for stove-top method)
Instant Pot or Electric Pressure Cooker (for IP method)
- 2 count Raw Banana/ Green Banana / Plantain / Kacche Kele / Aratikaya (2 large or 4 small)
- 1 count Lemon (large size)
- 2½ teaspoons Salt
- 2 inch piece Ginger
- 3 pods Garlic (optional)
- 7 to 8 count Green Chillies
- ½ cup Water
- 5 tablespoons Cooking Oil
- ½ cup Fresh Coriander Leaves / Cilantro Leaves
Ingredients for Tempering:
- ½ teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- ½ teaspoon Jeera / Cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon Sesame seeds / Nuvvulu
- 1½ teaspoon Urad Dal / Black Gram / Minappappu
- 1½ teaspoon Chana Dal / Yellow Split Lentils / Senagapappu
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 10 count Curry Leaves
- 3 count Dry Red Chillies
PREP WORK (common for both methods):
Peel the skin of Raw bananas, cut them into cube size pieces.
Put them in a bowl of water, so that they don't turn dark in colour.
Take the Ginger, Green Chillies, Garlic (optional) & Coriander Leaves into a spice blender.
Make into a coarse paste. Keep aside.
STOVE TOP METHOD COOKING:
Put a medium sized frying pan on stove top under medium flame.
Add 3 tablespoons of cooking oil and heat it.
Then add all 'Ingredients for Tempering', sauté them by stirring.
Transfer all the raw banana pieces, along with salt.
Mix everything, that the pieces are coated well with salt and tempering.
Add water and cover the pan completely with lid, for 5 mins. Let it steam cook.
Check if the raw banana pieces are cooked perfectly.
If so, then add the blended coarse paste and the remaining oil to the pan.
Mix everything thoroughly, let it be on flame for 2 more minutes, without lid.
Switch the flame off, let it cool for 5 mins.
Then, squeeze the lemon juice over and mix.
Transfer the curry into a serving bowl, garnish it with chopped coriander leaves. Done!!
INSTANT POT METHOD COOKING:
Switch the gadget ON, set to SAUTE mode for 5 mins.
Add oil and 'Ingredients for Tempering'.
Keep stirring in between.
When the IP beeps, add the raw banana pieces, salt and ½ cup of water.
Give a mix, close the IP lid, set the MODE to PRESSURE COOK, time to 4 mins, valve to SEALING.
After NPR (Natural Pressure Release) or after 7 mins QPR (Quick Pressure Release) , open the lid.
Add the coarse spice paste which we made.
Set the MODE to SAUTE, time to 2 mins.
Mash the pieces slightly but keep stirring continuously.
Add the chopped coriander leaves, remaining oil, mix everything.
Immediately, transfer the curry to a serving bowl.
Squeeze the lemon juice.
You can Pin it here, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category