Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10 mins CookTime:15 mins Cuisine: Indian
This, Capsicum – Raw Banana Curry, recipe is one of my experiments, I made with the leftover veggies in my fridge. Ya…One weekend, I wanted to wipe clean the refrigerator and so was so determined not to get any veggie shopping until I clean it thoroughly.
I was not so confident when I started to cook this, but to my surprise the curry turned out really tasty. We had it with plain rice and plain roti too. It was perfect for both.
So, this, Capsicum – Raw Banana, curry can be served either with any rice, poori,roti,chapati, or pulao. and takes just 15 mins max to make this simple yet spicy curry/koora.
Raw banana has High Fiber Content, Probiotic Bacteria, Source Of Vitamins and is good for Diarrhea Treatment, Diabetic Diet. And Capsicum is one vegetable that is low in Saturated Fat, and very low in Cholesterol. It is a good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin-C and Vitamin-K. This is what I learnt about these veggies (over the internet).
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips which I mentioned at the end.
My Curry recipes collection: Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
- Potato-Capsicum Dry Curry / Aloo-Shimla Mirchi Sukhi Sabzi
- Raw Banana Curry (Wet) / Aratikaya Muddha Koora
- Yellow Capsicum / Bell Peppers / Shimla Mirch – 2
- Raw Banana/Aratikaya – 2
- Salt – 2½ teaspoons
- Red Chilly powder – 2 teaspoons
- Coriander chopped – 2 tablespoons
- Grated / Desiccated Coconut – 2 tablespoons
- Dhaniya / Coriander Seeds Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Cooking Oil – 3 tablespoon
Ingredients for Tempering :
- Mustard Seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Jeera / Cumin seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Sesame seeds/Nuvvulu – 1 teaspoon
- Dry Red Chillies – 3
- Turmeric – ¼ teaspoon
- Grated / Desiccated Coconut
- Dhaniya / Coriander Seeds Powder
- Firstly, cut the bell peppers/capsicum into cube size pieces.
- And then peel the skin of Raw bananas, cut them into cube size pieces and put them in a bowl of water, so that they dont turn dark in colour.
- Put a medium sized frying pan on stove top under medium flame.
- Add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil and heat it.
- Add all the ‘Ingredients for Tempering’ into the pan. Mix up everything and toss them well.
- Add the dry red chillies just by breaking them into half with your fingers.
- Now, transfer all the pieces of capsicum and raw banana into the pan. Add the salt as well.
- Gently mix everything , such that the pieces are coated well with the salt and tempering.
- Add the water and cover the pan completely with lid, for 5 mins. Let it steam cook.
- Then open the lid and check if the capsicum and banana pieces are cooked perfectly.
- If so, then add the chopped coriander,red chilli powder, grated/desiccated coconut and dhaniya / coriander powder to the pan.
- Now, stir everything once and let it cook for 2 more minutes, without lid.
- Take the curry/koora into a serving bowl, and garnish it with chopped coriander leaves. Done!!
- For Dhaniya / Coriander powder, dry roast whole dhaniya/coriander seeds in a small pan until they turn light brown or until you get a good aroma. Powder them in a spice grinder/ blender once they are cooled.
- Ground the roasted dhaniya/corinader seeds in a blender/mixie only when they are completely cooled. If not it might become a paste rather than powder.
- You can use onions and garlic if you wish to, which I avoided.
- Don’t overcook the capsicum it might turn mushy.
- You can add the salt and chilli powder as per your taste.
- You can even avoid the dhaniya / coriander powder if you dont have it right away.
- This, Capsicum – Raw Banana, curry/koora tastes fine upto 2 days at room temperature and can be stored in refrigerator too.
- We had this, Capsicum – Raw Banana, curry with plain rice and plain roti too. It tasted delicious for both.
- It can be served as a side either with any rice, poori, roti, chapati, or pulao.
- Moreover with two vegetables that have such high nutrient values (as I mentioned above in detail), this curry is perfect health wise too. Tasty Yellow Curry with Capsicum and Raw Banana!
Pinterest Link for later use :
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category