Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10 mins CookTime:15-20 mins Cuisine:English
My little son, who has just turned 6, loves french fries to the core. He asks us to take to Burger king or McDonalds just for the sake of french fries. He would give up the kids burger to me, and just fills his tiny tummy with the small pack of fries.
To get rid of this, I wanted to give a try making potato fries at home. This is the first time, I used a oven for the fries rather than the authentic method. Which came out crispy, even when I have used just a tablespoon of oil. The baking can be customised to be crispy/soft as per choice.
Cut-Mix-Roast is what can be said about this simple, 3 step recipe.
So here goes, the recipe. It’s definitely going to be loved by kids at any time for evening snack, in the lunch box, or as a party side dish, as well.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned in the end.
My Starters collection here⇒ Starters / Snacks
Air fryer recipes collection⇒ Air – Fryer Recipes
- Red Kidney Beans Nuggets / Rajma Masala Vada(Oven,Air Fryer,Stove top)
- Potato Wedges – Rosemary (Air-Fryer & Oven methods)
- Coriander Baby Potatoes – Quick Snack
- Potato – Corn Cutlets / Tikki (Air-Fryer & Pan-Fry Method)
Follow me on⇒ Facebook / Pinterest / YouTube / Instagram
- Baking Potatoes – 2 (large size)
- Olive oil – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Chilly flakes – ¼ teaspoon
- Dry herbs mix – ¼ teaspoon
- Fresh coriander – 1 teaspoon (finely chopped)
- Fresh mint – 1 teaspoon (finely chopped)
- Turmeric Powder – half of ¼ teaspoon
- Olive oil – 2 tablespoons
- Herbs (any) dry or fresh
Step wise pics Procedure:
- Wash the potatoes (along with the skin) thoroughly and wipe them clean.
- Cut the potatoes with the skin, into long thick strips and take them into a large mixing bowl.
- In a (separate) small bowl, add all the other ingredients i.e. olive oil, salt, dry herbs mix, fresh herbs, chilli flakes and turmeric.
- Give a thorough whisk so that all the ingredients blend well in the oil.
- Now, transfer this oil mixture on to the potatoes.
- Gently combine, while taking care that each potato gets coated with this oil mixture.
- Close the bowl with a lid and let it rest for at least 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, Preheat the oven at 180º C for 10 mins, line up the baking tray with parchment paper.
- Exclude the liquid in the bowl, but pick only the potatoes on to the baking tray and then place it into the oven.
- After every 5 mins, increase the oven temperature slowly from 180ºC, to 200ºC, to 220ºC and then to 240ºC.
- Check for the crispiness of the potatoes , shift them directly to the serving plate.
- Repeat the same for next batch of seasoned potatoes as well.
- I preferred white potatoes for this recipe as they roast quickly.
- I feel, Olive oil gives a perfect flavour for oven based recipes.
- You can use any herbs you wish to. After all, every herb has its own flavour and goodness.
- These potato fries turned out to be very crispy on the outside but soft in the inside.
- The silent flavour of olive oil and the dominant flavour of the herbs, is all about one can say about this simple and easy recipe.
- Here you go! Yummy hot & crispy potato fries ready for your tummy 🙂
Ingredients on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 2 count Baking Potatoes (large size)
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt (or as per taste)
- ¼ teaspoon Dry Chilli Flakes
- ¼ teaspoon Dry Herbs Mix
- ⅛ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Coriander (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Mint / Any other herb (finely chopped)
- Wash the potatoes (along with the skin) thoroughly, wipe them clean.
- Cut them into long strips and take them into a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate small bowl add all the other ingredients, give a thorough mix so that they blend well in the oil .
- Transfer all of this oil mixture onto the potatoes and make sure that each potato is evenly coated with the mix.
- Close the bowl with a lid and let it rest for at least 10 mins
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven at 180C for 10 mins, line up the baking tray with parchment paper.
- Leave the liquid behind, Pick up only the potatoes and put onto the baking tray.
- After every 5 mins increase the oven temperature, slowly from 180C, to 200C, to 220C, to 240C.
- Check for the crispiness of the potato and shift them directly into the serving bowl.
- Repeat the same for the next batch of seasoned potatoes. Done!!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category