Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:20 mins CookTime:15-20 mins Cuisine:English
My little son, who has just turned 6, loves french fries to the core. He asks us to take to Burger king or McDonalds just for the sake of french fries. He would give up the kids burger to me, and just fills his tiny tummy with the small pack of fries.
To get rid of this, I wanted to give a try making potato fries at home. This is the first time, I used a oven for the fries rather than the authentic method. Which came out crispy, even when I have used just a tablespoon of oil. The baking can be customized to be crispy/soft as per choice.
Cut-Mix-Roast is what can be said about this simple, 3 step recipe.
So here goes, the recipe. It’s definitely going to be loved by kids at any time for evening snack, in the lunch box, or as a party side dish, as well.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned in the end.
My Starters collection here⇒ Starters / Snacks
- Potato-Capsicum Dry Curry / Aloo-Shimla Mirchi Sukhi Sabzi
- Potato – Corn Cutlets / Tikki (Air-Fryer & Pan-Fry Method)
- Large potatoes – 2
- Olive oil – 1 tablespoons
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Chilly flakes – ¼ teaspoon
- Dry herbs mix – ¼ teaspoon
- Fresh coriander chopped – 1 teaspoon
- Fresh mint chopped – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric – half of ¼ teaspoon
- Olive oil – 2 tablespoons
- Herbs (any) dry or fresh
- Wash the potatoes (along with the skin) thoroughly .
- Wipe them clean.
- Cut the potatoes with the skin, into long thick strips.
- Take the potatoes into a large bowl.
- In a (separate) small bowl, add all the other ingredients i.e. olive oil, salt, dry herbs mix, fresh herbs, chilli flakes and turmeric.
- Give a thorough whisk so that all the ingredients blend well in the oil.
- Now, transfer this oil mixture on to the potatoes.
- Gently combine, while taking care that each potato gets coated with this oil mixture.
- Close the bowl with a lid and let it rest for around 15 – 20 mins.
Potatoes seasoned with herbs and spices, before fried.
- Meanwhile, Preheat the oven at 180º C for 10 mins.
- Line up the baking tray with parchment paper.
Potato pieces on the baking tray
- Put the potatoes on to the baking tray and then place into the oven.
- After every 5 mins, increase the oven temperature slowly from 180ºC, to 200ºC, to 220ºC and then to 240ºC.
- Check for the crispiness of the potatoes , shift them directly to the serving plate.
- Repeat the same for next batch of seasoned potatoes as well.
- I preferred white potatoes for this recipe as they roast quickly.
- I feel, Olive oil gives a perfect flavour for oven based recipes.
- You can use any herbs you wish to. After all, every herb has its own flavour and goodness.
- These potato fries turned out to be very crispy on the outside but soft in the inside.
- The silent flavour of olive oil and the dominant flavour of the herbs, is all about one can say about this simple and easy recipe.
- Here you go! Yummy hot & crispy potato fries ready for your tummy 🙂
Crispy oven baked potatoes ready to be served!
You can Pinit here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category