Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
Prep Time:5 mins Cooking Time:20 mins Cuisine:Indian
Idli is the most common and popular breakfast foods of South India. Its made of fermenting the lentil batter and steaming the batter in a specific idli pan. It is considered as the helthiest breakfast items of the world because of its properties of NoOil, NoFry, Vegan, Glutenfree, Lentil & Rice based batter, cooked upon steaming.
There are many varieties of Idli(s) made with different batters, while the below recipe is with Ragi/ FingerMillets/ Bhakri which is a whole grain that is gluten-free,rich in fiber that helps with weight loss and diabetes. It’s packed with calcium, good carbs, ammino acids and Vitamin D. Its easily digestable by infants and kids. (extracted from internet).
We had these idli(s) with Courgettes Chutney / Zucchini Chutney / Nethi-Beerakaya Pachchadi and Instant Coconut Chutney / Kobbari Pachchadi.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips which I mentioned at the end.
You can see my other recipes of Chutney / Pachchadi / Dip
Click here for my other Breakfast recipes⇒ Breakfast / Tiffin
- Ragi / FingerMillet / Bhakri Flour – 1 cup
- Semolina / Rava – 1 cup
- Homemade Curd / Plain Yogurt / Greek Yogurt – 1 cup
- Baking Soda / Cooking Soda – ¾ teaspoon
- Salt – 1½ teaspoons (or) as per taste
- Water – ¼ cup (or) as required
- Baking Soda / Cooking Soda
- Firstly put a frying pan on stovetop under medium flame.
- Add the semolina and dry roast till you get a pleasant aroma and the colour of semolina slightly changes. This might take around 3-4 mins. See pics below.
- Switch the flame off and transfer the semolina into a wide mixing bowl.
- Add the ragi / finger millet / bhakri flour, salt and baking/cooking soda into the same bowl.
- Mix everything and then add the curd/yogurt to the bowl.
- Now, mix everything thoroughly into a smooth batter by adding the water.See pics below for the consistency.
- Apply oil to the idli pans and pour in the batter into them as shown in the pics below.
- Put the pans into an idli steamer or into a wide bottomed vessel filled with 2 cups of water.
- Steam them on stovetop under high flame for about 10-12 mins and then switch the stove off. See pics below.
- Gently take the idli(s) out of the idli pan with a wet spoon and serve!! Done!!
- Whatever might be the size of the cup the ratio of flour:rava/semolina:curd is 1:1:1
- Vegans can use a plant-based yogurt for this recipe.
- Be careful while dry roasting the rava/semolina, so that you dont burn.
- Dont add too much water while making the batter.
- Adjust the salt as per your taste.
- You can ferment the batter for 20-30 mins, if you wish to. But I didn’t, I used it right away.
- If you do not have the idli steamer pan you can pour the batter in a round cake tin, steam it in a wide bottomed vessel and cut them into desired pieces.
- These idli(s) can be be re-heated and served even when they are steamed a day before.
- The batter stays good upto 2 days when stored in fridge.
- The taste of these idli is very much like the reagular idli(s) but not 100% the same.
- But in testure yes they are very soft exactly the same as the regular ones.
- We had them with Instant Coconut Chutney / Kobbari Pachchadi and Courgettes Chutney / Zucchini Chutney / Nethi-Beerakaya Pachchadi
You can Pinit here for later, Pinterest Link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category