Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:2 mins CookTime:10 mins Cuisine:Indian
In Telugu cuisine we call soup without lentils as ‘chaaru’. Generally, a spice powder called ‘ chaaru podi’ specific to this South Indian Soup is added to this recipe. It adds flavour, aroma and improves the taste of this recipe.
But, when, there is not much time to make the fresh chaaru podi/ spice powder or when the powder is out-of-stock in the pantry, Amma (Mom) used to make this quick fix soup/chaaru. This requires very few basic ingredients, where in black peppercorns play the main role.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
My Other Soup recipes here⇒ Salads & Soups
Daily meal platters collection⇒ Daily Bhojanam / Thali / Meal Platter
- Mukkala Pulusu/ Dhappalam / Indian Vegetable Soup
- Tomato Dal / Lentil Stew / Tomato Pappu
- Sorakaya-Pesarapappu / Lauki-MungDal / BottleGourd-LentilStew
- Water – 4 cups
- Tomatoes – 2 (medium)
- Black Peppercorn / Whole Black Pepper / Miryalu – 2 to 3 teaspoons
- Salt – as per taste
- Red Chilli Powder / Paprika / Chilli flakes – ¼ teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder / Pasupu – ¼ teaspoon
- Sugar / Jaggery – 3 teaspoons
- Tamarind pulp – 2 tablespoons
- Chopped Coriander leaves – 2 tablespoons
- Drumsticks / Munakkada – 1 (optional)
- Rice flour – 1 tablespoon (optional)
Ingredients for Tempering : (optional)
- Mustard seeds / Aavalu – ¼ teaspoon
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – ¼ teaspoon
- Asafoetida / Hing / Inguva – half of ¼ teaspoon
- Dry Red Chillies – 3
- Curry Leaves – 5 to 6
- Cooking oil – 1 tablespoon
- Crushed Garlic – 1 teaspoon (optional)
- Black Peppercorn / Whole Black Pepper
Step wise pics Procedure for Instant soup / chaaru:
- Firstly, wash the tomatoes and drumsticks.
- Chop the tomatoes finely and drumsticks 1 inch length wise.
- Take them into a steel vessel / sauce pan.
- Add the water, salt, turmeric powder, sugar, tamarind pulp and red chilli powder / paprika.
- Give one gentle stir, put the vessel/pan on stove top under medium flame.
- Take the whole black pepper in between 2 kitchen towels, crush them coarsely, with the rolling pin on kitchen counter.
- Add all of it into the vessel/ pan on stove top, along with a tablespoon of chopped coriander leaves.
- Bring the soup to boil until it forms bubbles, just like the pic above.
- Switch the flame off and garnish with one more tablespoon o chopped coriander!
- If you wish to do the tempering, take all the ‘Ingredients for tempering’ into a small pan onto the stove top, and fry them until the mustard seeds start to splatter and switch off the stove. Done!!
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- You can adjust the consistency, by reducing the water quantity.
- Addition of drum sticks can be skipped, which might not vary the taste of this soup / chaaru.
- By adding rice flour, the soup becomes a bit thick.
- Avoid the ‘tempering’ section to make it oil-free.
- This is preferable food, taken to get relief from cold, cough, flu etc.
- This, Instant Soup / Chaaru, is very light on the tummy but gives an absolute soothing feel to the throat.
- Just add some steamed rice or cooked noodles or any bread on the side, which makes it even more filling on the tummy.
You can Pin it here for later use, Pinterest Link :
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category