Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:5 mins CookTime:25 mins Cuisine:South Indian
Undrallu and Modakam are the most favourite foods for Ganesha to be offered as nayivedyam. And for Hindus, this is a most commonly known fact as well.
Today being the most pious festival of Ganesh Chaturthi / Vinayaka Chavithi, celebrated as the birth incarnation of Lord Ganesha (the elephant headed God of Hindus) . I made these tasty delicacies as a part of the nayivedyam thali / offerings for the Gods.
There are many varieties of recipes for undrallu and modakam, as per the family tradition and regional customs of India. I am sharing this savoury recipe as per the traditional recipe of Telugu States in South of India.
Undrallu / steamed rice dumplings, is a a savoury recipe, where no spice is added, except for some salt for seasoning. Irrespective of which they taste excellently tasty!!
These are not just made during Vinayaka Chavithi, but also made as regular breakfast item or for dinner too. Hence, adding them to my breakfast recipes collection.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Traditional festive recipes collection⇒ Traditional Indian Recipes for Festivals / Panduga Nayivedyalu
Indian Festive Platters / Thali⇒ Vindhu Bhojanam / Festive Lunch
Laddoo recipes collection⇒ Laddoo Recipes / Indian Energy Balls
Instant Pot recipes collection⇒ Instant Pot / Electric Pressure Cooker Recipes
- White Rice (uncooked) – 1 cup
- Water – 3 cups + 2 cups (for cooking)
- Salt – 1½ teaspoons
- Chana Dal / Senagapappu / Split Yellow Gram – 2 teaspoons
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – 2 teaspoons
- Fresh Coconut pieces (tiny size) – 2 tablespoons (optional)
- Chana Dal / Senagapappu / Split Yellow Gram
- Fresh Coconut pieces (optional)
Step wise pics Procedure for Undrallu / Steamed rice dumplings:
- Whatever might be the size of the cup, the measurements are same.
- Adjust the salt as per your taste.
- Fresh Coconut pieces can be added to the water in the pan before boiling.
- When you start pouring the ground rice powder, don’t stop stirring continuously with the other hand.
- Once you cook the mix, cool it and make the undrallu (dumplings) immediately, if not the mix would become dry and will not be good for shaping.
- If you do not have the Steel Insert / stand, you can use the same set-up as shown in the picture, where I have used a small steel cup & a colander.
- The cooked undrallu / dumplings can be warmed and served, suggested only for few hours though.
- Generally, Undrallu / steamed rice dumplings, being a savoury recipe, these are eaten with any chutney as a condiment or with sugar…but lots of ghee / butter is smeared on.
- They taste very good even without any spice added too.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Undrallu / Steamed Rice Dumplings
- Sauce Pan / Vessel (for stove-top method)
- Instant Pot or Electric Pressure Cooker (for IP method)
- 1 cup White Rice (uncooked)
- (3+2) cups Water (for cooking)
- 1½ teaspoons Salt
- 2 teaspoons Chana Dal / Senagapappu / Split Yellow Gram
- 2 teaspoons Jeera / Cumin Seeds
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Coconut pieces (tiny size) (optional)
- Put a broad deep vessel / pan on stove-top under medium flame.Pour the water(3 cups), salt, chana dal and jeera into the pan. Bring to boil.
- In the mean while, take the rice (uncooked) into a spice blender / mixie and grind into fine powder.
- When the water boils & bubbles start forming, reduce the flame to low and slowly add the ground rice powder (in parts).Keep stirring continuously with the other hand. Until, all the water & ground rice powder are combined well and forms a solid mix.
- Let it cool completely (takes around 10 mins). Using your hands, make small balls from the mix.
- Put the undrallu / dumplings either in a colander or in an idli stand.
STEAMING ON STOVE TOP IN A VESSEL / PRESSURE COOKER:
- Pour 2 cups of water in a wide stove-top vessel (or) a stove top pressure cooker.Put a small steel cup at the centre of the vessel, place the colander on it.(see pic in main post)Or place the IDLI stand in the vessel (or) pressure cooker (without whistle).Close with LID. Steam cook them under high flame, for about 12 to 15 mins.Switch the flame off, but open the lid only after 5 mins, then serve. Done!!
STEAMING IN INSTANT POT / ELECTRIC PRESSURE COOKER:
- Pour 2 cups of water into the Inner Pot.Place all the undrallu / dumplings into a steel vessel / colander. Put the vessel on the steel insert / stand that fits in the Instant pot vessel.Close the gadget with IP lid, set to STEAM mode with VALVE to VENTING, for 12-15 mins (external timer has to be used).Switch the gadget off, but open the lid only after 5 mins, then serve. Done!!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category